Bruno Mars will be shimmying his way into our living rooms on Sunday night. Here are 10 reasons why we can't get enough of the Super Bowl half time headliner
Much like watching Girls, Super Bowl Sunday – an American institution – has also become part of British culture. Thousands of us will be staying up on Sunday night and tuning into Channel 4 to watch the Super Bowl XLVIII between the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks.
But as exciting as the sporting action will be, it’s the half time show – aka the greatest musical spectacle – that has us hooked.
This year Hawaiian singing sensation, Bruno Mars, is the man who will follow in the footsteps of Beyoncé (2013’s headline act) and take the stage at New Jersey's MetLife Stadium. Ahead of what is arguably the biggest performance of Bruno’s career, here are 10 reasons why we Treasure the pint sized pop crooner:
1. Bruno was once the youngest Elvis impersonator
Before he was a Super Bowl halftime show performer, the man formerly known as Peter Hernandez was the world’s youngest Elvis impersonator at the tender age of three. By the time he was six, Mars had made a cameo as a mini Elvis in the 1992 film, Honeymoon in Vegas, starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Nicolas Cage.
2. He can rock a fedora
Bruno loves hats even more than we do, telling MTV: “the hat has to speak to you, from your soul.” The Grammy award winner has been spotted in trilbys, baseball caps and beanies but his favourite is the fedora.
3. He has the cutest dog Are you a cat or dog person? Make no mistake: we all prefer one pet to the other and Bruno is no exception. Much like me, Mars prefers puppies. The Locked Out of Heaven hit maker is the proud owner of an adorable pooch who goes by the name of Geronimo.
4. He loves his fans Mars may have won the Best Pop Vocal Album award for his album Unorthodox Jukebox at the 2014 Grammys, but he took to Twitter to tell his fans: "There's no award that could give me what you have already given me. I love y'all! #HooligansForever"
5. He puts on a fantastic show Mars is passionate about putting on an entertaining show. “My band and I have been rehearsing. We can't wait to get out onto that field and perform. We're excited. I hope the fans expect to have some fun with us," he told reporters ahead of his 12 minute slot this Sunday. Having seen him perform at London’s 02 Arena in October 2013, we can confirm that the Honolulu native is the consummate showman.
6. He’s got a great sense of humour
Mars has said he’s no comedian, but proved otherwise when he appeared in October 2012 as both the musical guest and host of Saturday Night Live. The stats speak for themselves: the episode that the singer-songwriter hosted, gave the late night comedy showcase its best ratings of the season. If you need further proof of his comedic presence, check out Mars assuming various cool dude roles– in gold lame shorts – in his Funny or Die video, Whatta Man.
7. He wrote Cee Lo Green’s F**k You anthem
Prior to his own stardom, the Super Bowl star wrote songs for the likes of Adam Levine, Justin Bieber, Brandy, B.O.B, Alexandra Burke, Travie McCoy, Flo Rida, the Sugababes and Sean Kingston. But our favourite is F**K You – the scathing break up track he penned with Cee Lo, in just two hours.
8. The man can MOVE Not only can he write songs, sing, produce and play several instruments, but Mars is a man who can dance. Check out the picture above of Bruno channelling his inner James Brown.
9. He’d catch a grenade for us Yup, in the words of his second solo UK number one, Grenade, Bruno would “catch a grenade for ya. Throw my hand on a blade for ya, I'd jump in front of a train for ya, You know I'd do anything for ya.”
10. He likes us just the way we are Lastly, as he sings in his first solo UK smash, Mars likes us just the way we are:
“Cause you’re amazing Just the way you are And when you smile The whole world stops and stares for a while ‘Cause you’re […] amazing Just the way you are."